After 1910 there was a succession of tenants and the condition of the house and the estate started to gently decline. Although Ralph Sneyd was not often present, the estate was run by the agent in his absence, so life in the village continued as usual with the villagers still working on the land, or in the business of the estate, as this generated the revenue Ralph needed to support his “sporting” life.
During the Second World War the estate was occupied by the army, and some prisoners of war were held here. American servicemen were also stationed here and General Patton visited during this period. But the main legacy from this time was the Nissan huts that were scattered around the estate